As time and progress march on, they leave behind them certain relics of history. Many people consider the fountain pen to be such an object, replaced by the "superior" ball point pen. But fountain pens are very much alive and well, and with good reason. You may want to consider trying one for the following reasons:
- Fountain pens allow you to use any ink you wish. One popular online seller carries over 350 different colors.
- There are fountain pen inks made that are more permanent and more fraud resistant than ANY ball pen ink. Such inks resist all known tools of the forger: acetone, bleach, oven cleaner, even lasers.
- Fountain pens are "greener" than any disposable pen. Because most fountain pens can use bottled ink, you never have to hunt for a refill. One 4.5oz bottle of a popular ink writes as much as 76 of the most popular ball point pens.
- Fountain pens can cost much less overall. That 4.5oz ink bottle costs less than $20 and will last a very long time. Your 76 roller ball pens will cost over $275 with an ink that isn't even as fraud-resistant.
- Fountain pens require no pressure on the paper to write. This eases the stress on your hands
Finally, fountain pens can offer a writing experience many find pleasurable. There is a distinct tactile quality to writing with a decent fountain pen that makes writing an end, not just a means. A well-made fountain pen can be had for less than $50, and there's no need to buy a very pricey Mont Blanc to get a really nice pen that will last your lifetime.